When you have an asphalt parking lot installed on your commercial property, it’s a thing of beauty. Once the project is done, you may be wondering what you need to do to make sure your investment is protected moving forward. There are some things that you can do to make care for your asphalt after the pros have installed your parking lot. Andersen Asphalt & Striping is here to share some do’s and don’ts that will help you keep your parking lot is great condition.
How Do You Take Care of an Asphalt Parking Lot?
When you follow some simple rules with your new asphalt parking lot, you can plan to enjoy that surface for 15+ years. The lifespan of your asphalt parking lot is going to depend on how you care for and maintain it. Here are some of the things you should be doing to protect your asphalt parking lot.
– Give it Time to Cure: It is true that you can start driving on your parking lot fairly soon after it has been poured. All it needs is about 24 hours of cure time before you can safely drive on the surface. However, it is important to note that it takes up to a full year for your parking lot to completely finish the curing process.
– Clean Up Oil Spills: If there is ever any fuel or oil spilled on your asphalt, it needs to be cleaned right away. These two substances can break down the chemicals that bind the asphalt together.
– Slow Down: Encourage slow driving on your asphalt surface to protect it. This is especially true during that first year after the asphalt is poured.
– Sealcoat: Once the asphalt is completely cured, after about one year, have the surface sealcoated to provide protection against the elements.
What Should You Not Do to Asphalt Pavement
To keep your asphalt looking good, you need to follow a few don’ts as well as the do’s.
– Don’t Drive: Never drive on your newly poured asphalt surface for at least 24 hours to allow it the time it needs to cure properly.
– Don’t Let Weeds Grow: Make sure there aren’t any weeds that are starting to grow around the edges of your asphalt parking lot. The roots of these plants can cause bumps and cracks to form in your parking lot surface. Simply use weed killer to get rid of them as you notice they start to grow.
– Don’t Ignore Cracks & Fissures: Keep an eye out for small cracks and holes in your asphalt. If you notice them start to grow, it is important to fix them right away.
Asphalt Parking Lot & Road Pavement Sealcoating, Resurfacing, Replacement & More in Reno, Elko, Henderson, North LV, Paradise, Spring Valley, Sunrise Manor, Las Vegas, NV | State of Nevada
If you need to have your asphalt parking lot poured or repaired, you can count on Andersen Asphalt & Striping to deliver a beautiful parking lot to you. With our experience and expertise, you know that you will get nothing short of the best in asphalt parking lots. Call us today!