When you think of an asphalt surface, you think of a surface that is smooth to drive on and long lasting. Many people don’t realize that depending on the job that you need done and where you are putting the asphalt, there are different types that are ideal for certain conditions. There are literally hundreds of different types of asphalt variations, and Andersen Asphalt & Striping is here to talk about what different types of asphalt there are and where they would likely be used.
Most Common Types of Asphalt
Like mentioned above, there are many different variations when it comes to mixing asphalt. When you mix different variations, it makes them more suitable for certain applications. Following are a few of the most commonly used asphalt mixes we see.
– Hot Mix Asphalt: This is the most common type of asphalt used here in the states. It mixes at an extremely high temperature to remove as much moisture as possible from the mixture. When the highest amount of moisture is removed from the mix, there are lower viscosity levels. This asphalt is mixed to at least 300 degrees Fahrenheit or higher.
– Warm Asphalt Mix: If warm mix asphalt is used for a project, it is usually during the colder months of the year. It is mixed at 200-250 degrees Fahrenheit. Because it isn’t mixed at the higher temperature that hot mix is, it takes longer to set and cool.
– Driveway Asphalt Mix: If you have a parking lot or a driveway that you would like paved with asphalt, driveway mix is your best option. It is a lighter duty asphalt that is also more affordable than some other options. This asphalt has been formulated specifically to provide you with an incredibly smooth surface to drive on.
– Stabilized Base Asphalt: Just like the name implies, this is a base layer that other asphalts can then be laid on. It is made up of 95%-98% aggregate and only 2-5% asphalt binder.
– Porous Asphalt: This is an environmentally friendly option that many businesses choose because they get tax benefits for choosing it. Because it has such a porous surface, water is able to travel under it to the ground where it naturally belongs.
– Cold Mix: This type of asphalt is the one used to fill in all those pesky potholes that formulate on the roads you drive on. It has a shorter lifespan but can buy you some time before you need to have the entire asphalt surface replaced.
Asphalt Paving Contractor Installation & More in Reno, Elko, Henderson, North LV, Paradise, Spring Valley, Sunrise Manor, Las Vegas, NV | State of Nevada
It doesn’t matter what type of asphalt you need for your project you can rely on the experts at Andersen Asphalt & Striping to ensure the job is done right. We have extensive experience in working with all types of asphalt that are ideal for many different applications. Our team of knowledgeable professionals will help you determine which one would work best for your needs. Call us today!